Saturday, December 6, 2014

Engagement Dress

I got engaged!!!!  To Bruce, the soap on a rope to my loofa and the recipient of the crocheted earflap hat.  I went to visit him at his Naval base in Pensacola for the Fourth of July and he proposed!  It was romantic and fabulous.  He came home to visit in August so I obviously had to make a dress for the engagement party and photos.


My lovely maid of honor is a professional photographer, so she took the photos for us.  She is so talented! If you live in the New England area you should hire her to photograph your events.  Check out her website (and more pictures of me and Bruce) at www.simoneschiess.com.

Now, about the dress:




The pattern is McCall's #7575 from 1995.  My grandmother volunteers at a secondhand shop in Kansas and collects old sewing patterns for me.  She also got me Simplicity 5357, which I made in the spring of 2013.  (Side Note: Simplicity just re-released 5357 so now it's available to the general public, which sort of makes my sweet vintage halter top less special.)

I made the size 8 with a 35" finished bust measurement.







The fabric is a cotton border print from Journal Fabric in the LA Fashion District.  I bought it in January 2013 when I was out there visiting a few of my sorority sisters.

I bought 2.5 yards of this fabric (well, I only paid for 2 and the guy at the store gave me a half yard for free because I saw a spot on the fabric - yesssssss) and I was really cagey about how I used and cut it for this dress.  To conserve fabric I used muslin from my stash to line the bodice and for the back and side back.  So I think I have enough fabric left to eke out another dress.

Total Cost: $13.25
  • Fabric: $12
  • Zipper: $1.25
  • Muslin: stash

The pattern called for armscye and neck facings, but I decided to fully line the bodice since it is a bra-less kind of dress.  I actually started this dress in May of 2013 and had everything done except the sleeves and when I went back to sew it I decided I wanted it to be sleeveless.  So I pulled apart the bodice and lining and I'd already trimmed my seam allowances and the moral of the story is that I have visible side seams.


The bodice front has two waist darts, which is why I chose this dress pattern for this fabric.  I didn't want to interrupt the flow of the floral pattern, so I didn't want to make a dress with princess seams or with bust and waist darts.



The skirt is a 60" x 20" rectangle.  There is an invisible zipper at center back and I used three hooks and eyes on the back waist to keep it from gapping too much.


I love this dress so so much.  I had a lot of fun making it and I got lots of compliments at the engagement party.






And here are a few photos from our engagement shoot:




And a couple photos of Sox getting involved in the dressmaking process:



Bruce has been stationed in Lemoore, California and I am moving out there to join him at the end of the month!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your dress is gorgeous. Are you going to make your wedding dress???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am! I started it about two months ago. Working on it a little at a time.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That is wonderful news and you two look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pictures and that dress! Congratulations, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your wonderful engagement! I love the phrase "he is the soap on a rope to my loofah" - please never stop calling him that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! (but I hate that you're leaving). You're the absolute cutest, I'm so happy for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your engagement! Your dress looks beautiful! Perfect for your engagement photos!

    ReplyDelete