Saturday, August 9, 2014

Rick Rack Romper + Fashion Show Photos

I am the worst blogger ever.  I finished this romper in April for the student fashion show at school (which I also neglected to post about), didn't take photos until mid-July, and didn't write the blog post until August.  The photos of my garments from the fashion show at the bottom of this post.


This is a self-drafted pattern.  I drafted the pattern and sewed this up in like 4 days in order to have it done by the fashion show.  That's wicked fast for me because I am literally the slowest sewer on the planet.  My mother says I could never be on Project Runway.


The fabric is a mint Symphony Broadcloth, a polyester/cotton blend quilting fabric from Jo-Ann Fabrics.  The polyester prevents the fabric from wrinkling the way that most quilting cottons do, which is why I chose it.  The lining is a rayon challis I ordered online from Hancock Fabrics (the same fabric I used to line my Colorblocked Shift Dress) and there's an invisible zipper in the side seam.


Total Cost: $11.48


  • Fabric: $2.99
  • Lining: $5.99
  • Rick Rack: $1
  • Zipper: $1.50



This romper looks a little tight around the bust, but I didn't notice it until I looked at this pictures.  It also looks a like it's pulling a bit at the seam lines, but it looks better in real life.  I feel like I say that in every blog post, but it's true.



To draft the bodice I took measurements of one of my RTW rompers as a basic starting point and made changes to the fit and style lines from there.  I also used McCall's #6439 as a reference, which is the pattern I used for my Turquoise Striped Dress.  The fit was way off so the pattern wasn't really all that helpful, but I liked having a commercial pattern to look at to make sure my pattern wasn't doing something crazy.


I used the pattern from my self-drafted Black High-Waisted Shorts as a block for the romper shorts.  Since the black shorts were made from a stretch denim and the fabric I used for this romper doesn't have any stretch, I added 1/2" to the side seam and inseam.  I dropped the crotch 1/2" as directed in my patternmaking book.  I raised the waistline 1 1/2" to compensate for the waistband.


The waistband on this romper is attached at the side seam with the zipper.  I used the same method to attach the rick rack to the waistband and hem as I used for my Turquoise Polka Dot TopI used WashAway Wonder Tape to hold the rick rack in place and then I topstitched it on.
I sandwiched the rick rack across the top of the bodice between the mint fabric and lining.


And here is a photo of me wearing the romper in the fashion show.  I had to model this myself - which was terrifying - and I am not a very good model.


There are some fabulous pictures of my lovely Jo-Ann Fabrics co-worker, Lily, modeling my Design Wars/Project Pink Competition Dress:




And my classmate modeling my Colorblocked Shift Dress:




And my other classmate modeling my Floral Skater Dress:




And here is a sneak peek of my Blue Wrap Competition dress, which I haven't blogged about yet.  I made it for a Project Runway type unconventional materials competition at school.  We had to make a garment out of the surgical blue wrap they use in hospitals.  My dress won most wearable, which was very exciting.  But then I had to model it in the show, which was the worst.



1 comment:

  1. I like your signature pose, see, you are a model!

    ReplyDelete