I used the extra yard of fabric leftover from my Turquoise Polka Dot Dress. Ya know, using the whole cow or whatever.
Total Cost: $3.78
- Fabric: $1.99
- Rick Rack: $1.79
- Bias Tape: stash (also leftover from the Turquoise Polka Dot Dress)
This started out as a Colette Sorbetto, but I made a lot of changes. There is a seam down the back because I didn't have enough fabric. Also, the armscye didn't fit right so I let out the shoulder seams and when that didn't work I let out the back seam and when that didn't work I just chopped off the fabric under my armpit. I probably should've just drafted my own pattern, but I was feeling lazy.
At first I thought this top was too short, but I think the length is perfect. And I like how it kicks out at the bottom.
I am all about rick rack and I've been itching to use some. I used almost a whole 2.5 yard package on the hem and the armholes so I had to buy another package for the neck, which was a bummer. I wasn't totally sure what to do with the raw edges of the rick rack so I dabbed on some Fray Check and hid them the best I could. If anyone has any experience working with rick rack and knows of a better way to do this, I would love some input.
I used WashAway Wonder Tape to hold the rick rack in place. I don't think I could have done it without this stuff. For the armholes and the neckline, I finished the edges with single fold bias tape then I stuck the rick rack in place with the Wonder Tape and I sewed it on.
I hand stitched the hem, stuck the rick rack on with Wonder Tape, and hand stitched it on.
I won't lie, the rick rack under my armpits isn't super comfortable. But I DGAF because I love this top. Beauty is pain, my friends.