This is the dress from the Alison Esther Spring 2013 RTW Collection I designed for my sketching class!
I used Butterick #5748, a reissued vintage pattern from 1960.
The fabric is a Quilter's Showcase quilting cotton from Jo-Ann Fabrics.
Total Cost: $8.42
- Fabric: $5.98
- Bias Tape: $1.19
- Zipper: $1.25
This dress is also my entry into I Heart Fabric's Copy Cat Challenge. It was inspired by both of these dresses I found on Pinterest:
I made a few changes to the original pattern. I added gathered sleeves from Simplicity #1650 because I'm all about making dresses with sleeves right now and I adore gathered ones.
Instead of lining the whole dress I used bias tape to finish my edges.
|Another mismatched zipper...|
The pattern calls for a side zipper but I couldn't get the dress on so I had to move it to the back. This caused problems with the bow. I could only sew it to one side of the zipper and this made it all floppy. So, in a moment of genius (if I do say so myself) I came up with a solution:
|Ignore the terrible #pinterestfail manicure.|
I also shortened the skirt by like a foot.
AND I hand-hemmed the whole skirt. I thought it would take days but it really didn't take very long. I even made sure to avoid sewing over the white dots to make my hem invisible.
Sox was wicked helpful during the construction of this dress: