Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Knitted Simple Shrug

I knitted the Simple Shrug pattern available for free on the Caron yarn website. I used 4 skeins of Caron Simply Soft worsted weight yarn in Driftwood. The yarn is very soft and warm. It's hard to find a pattern that looks good in variegated yarn, so I'm glad I finally got to use this yarn I've had stashed for a while.










I made the small and the only alteration I made was increasing the back width from 19" to 19.5" because I have broad shoulders.



I’m pretty happy with this shrug but there is something a bit off about it. Maybe the sleeves are too baggy? Or maybe they’re too short. I didn’t check my gauge and I suspect I may have increased every 4 rows instead of every 5 rows by accident.

Sox Loves Blogging!


Monday, June 25, 2012

Forever 21 Copycat Skirt

For this project, I was inspired by Forever 21's Flounce Tier Skirt.






I used 2.5 yards of a Sew Classic Simply Solid 100% rayon challis from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I think it might actually be the same fabric used in the original Forever 21 skirt.

The fabric was on clearance and the clearance fabrics were all on sale for half off. Between the sale and my employee discount, the fabric cost me about $2 per yard. Unfortunately, the fabric gets wrinkled pretty easily and it is nearly impossible to get all of the wrinkles out.









I used the back pattern piece and the yoke pattern pieces from McCall's #6439. For the front of the skirt, I cut the back pattern piece on the fold and cut 5/8" off each side since that that was the seam allowance for the back of the skirt and the zipper.

It took me forever to get the pleats on the front to look how I wanted them to. I had the skirt pinned to my duct tape dressform and played around with the pleats for a few hours. There are seven pleats on the bottom flounce and eight on the top. The bottom flounce is 14.5" long at it's longest point and 6" at it's shortest point. The top flounce is 11" at it's longest point and 4.5" at it's shortest point.



This was my first time sewing an invisible zipper. I accidentally clipped my fabric into the seam allowance and I didn't leave enough room at the top for a hook and eye. But at least it works.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sox in My Sewing Box


McCall's 6113





















This started out as McCall's #6113 view B. It's the first time I've ever made a pattern out of muslin to test drive it and I am so glad I did.

The dress was so frumpy and unflattering. I think there was too much fabric in the skirt.

I kept the original bodice but made it 1.5" wider because bandeau tops can be so unflattering and make your boobs look saggy and weird.






Instead of the halter tie, I took inspiration from Simplicity #2182 and braided the straps and crossed them in the back. I absolutely HATE attaching straps to dresses. It's such a pain. I walked around with the straps safety pinned to my dress for two days to make sure they fit perfectly.












I used a Tropical Punch challis from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I am absolutely obsessed with it and I bought the remaining few yards that we (I work at the cutting counter) had left to use for another project.

For the skirt I pinned a yard of fabric to the front and back of my duct-taped dressform and used it's width as the skirt length. The front and back ended up about 20" wide.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Burda 7549

I sewed Burda #7549 view B. 



I didn't like how baggy the shirt came out, so I took it apart and re-tooled it. I made the ruffle a little narrower and I used Simplicity #2182 as a general guideline for the body of the shirt. I'm very happy with how it came out.


I used a stretchy teal gauze fabric that was on clearance at Jo-Ann Fabrics - the same fabric I used to line my striped strapless dress.


I sewed the seam allowance at  1/2" instead of 5/8" for the elastic casing (to attach the ruffle to the top) to give myself more space because it was impossible to fit the 1/2" elastic into the 5/8" casing. 

I used my new serger to finish the armpit, ruffle, and hem. I put some bias tape on the shoulder seam to stabilize it.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pfaff Hobbylock 2.0 Serger!

I am the proud owner of a Pfaff Hobbylock 2.0 serger! I love this little guy; he's just so cute!


I got it for $450 at Button Box Quilt Shop in Wellesley, MA. They also had the Coverlock 4.0 for around $1,400 with the LCD touch screen and coverstitch but I figure it's cheaper to buy a separate coverstitch machine on Amazon or Ebay. (If anyone has any recommendations, let me know!)

Honestly, threading my serger doesn't really faze me. It's not much more complicated than a regular sewing machine, it's just physically harder to get your hands into the machine to thread it.


Actually operating the serger is a little intimidating, but one of the Button Box employees gave me a fabulous two hour lesson and I was serging away like a pro.

I'm very excited about my serger and I've been playing with my new toy non-stop. So much fun!

Sunday, June 10, 2012