Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tropical Print Maxi Dress





















This started out as McCall's #6113 view B. It's the first time I've ever made a pattern out of muslin to test drive it and I am so glad I did.

The dress was so frumpy and unflattering. I think there was too much fabric in the skirt.

I kept the original bodice but made it 1.5" wider because bandeau tops can be so unflattering and make your boobs look saggy and weird.






Instead of the halter tie, I took inspiration from Simplicity #2182 and braided the straps and crossed them in the back. I absolutely HATE attaching straps to dresses. It's such a pain. I walked around with the straps safety pinned to my dress for two days to make sure they fit perfectly.












I used a Tropical Punch challis from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I am absolutely obsessed with it and I bought the remaining few yards that we (I work at the cutting counter) had left to use for another project.

For the skirt I pinned a yard of fabric to the front and back of my duct-taped dressform and used it's width as the skirt length. The front and back ended up about 20" wide.

2 comments:

  1. Your dress is very pretty! Braided strap is nice. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm pretty proud of myself for thinking of the braided straps. I'm pretty short so I've never found a long dress that looked good on me, but I'm happy with how this one looks.

      Delete