Wednesday, May 9, 2012

McCall's 6518

I used McCall's Pattern #6518. The fabric is a purple bottomweight from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I had black lace left over from the lace top I made, and I used it underneath the ruffles.




There were a few things I didn't like about this pattern. First, I didn't like how the pattern wanted the ruffles to be finished - or should I say not finished. The pattern wants you to do the ruffles in such a way that their undersides are visible. That's not pretty or cute (hence the lace).


Second, I didn't like handstitching the front and back together at the shoulder seam. I made this a while ago so I can't really remember the details, but I believe I felt there was a lack of fabric to work with. This was one of the first projects I did after I picked up sewing after a 5 year hiatus, so it is possible that I am the problem, not the pattern.


I wouldn't recommend this pattern for a very beginner. Not only do I disagree with the unfinished ruffles and the weird shoulder seams, but having to make the whole lining in addition to the dress is a lot of work for someone just starting out. It would probably be a pretty easy project for someone with a couple projects already under her belt.





This is the black ribbon I used around the waist. I washed and ruined the first one so I had to take it off and replace it.
















I think I would like to make this again out of a fabric with a print or design. I truly love the plaid version of this dress on Green Apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment