Tuesday, May 29, 2012

McCall's 6349

I started McCall's #6349 over a month ago and I finally finished it. It wasn't hard, but the boning would definitely be too great a challenge for a first-time sewer. I didn't do the bodice underlining because I felt the lining was sufficient. I didn't line the skirt because the fabric wasn't sheer so I didn't need to.




I used this adorable fabric from the red tag section at Jo-Ann Fabrics. It's the same fabric I used for the striped high-waisted shorts but in this adorable Tiffany's blue color. The pictures don't show how cute it really is. For the lining I used a stretchy teal gauze fabric also from the red tag section at Jo-Ann Fabrics.








The reason it took me so long to finish this dress is because it came out huge. HUGE. I had to cut at least an inch off the back seam and it was still too big. (Upon reflection, maybe I should have made the A-cup bodice instead of the B-cup.) I didn't want to take any more fabric out of the back seam because I didn't want to screw up the boning so I made a dart in both sides of the bodice using my new dressform (which worked perfectly, by the way).





2 comments:

  1. Cute dress. I love your choice of fabric. Funny, I hadn't noticed this pattern. Yours is much cuter than on the envelope:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister used this same pattern and the same sizing issue happened. She had to cut out the equivalent of one of the back panels and she still has to dart it! I love the fabric you used as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete